Reflections on Teaching
After learning that I could use my engineering degree with 9 more hours of college courses to become Texas Teacher Certified, I chose to be a secondary math teacher. Although I like teaching youth, the most compelling reason for my career change was due to the very unstable high technology market. Unless I chose to relocate (an option I would not consider with a high school student), I could not find any long term opportunities with a company where I could accrue vacation time and other benefits. With the trends of moving manufacturing to China and software and support to India, the horizon didn’t look positive for somebody of my age and experience. I didn’t want to make job changes every 3 years.
Even though I enjoyed my first year of school teaching, it did consume most my waking hours. My second year has been much better. I am generally at school from 7:15 am to 4 pm. I put in about ten extra hours per week. However I do have a 45 minute commute. That would change if I taught at one of the three middle schools that are within 2 miles of our house. The third year should be much easier, unless I transfer to another school.
One of the deterrents to teaching is the pay. We have found that it is nearly impossible to provide for a household with that being the only income for a family. Rebecca is working part time as a library page. With her income we think that we will be fine. This is mainly because we have avoided debt and have done well saving for college education for our children and our retirement. However, if I had to take a summer job to supplement my school salary, I would not be a school teacher. One of the main reasons I chose this profession was to have my summers off.
I teach 8th graders mathematics. I find that 95% of the students are very enjoyable. I also have found that an average student who will do the work, try to retain what they learn and listen in class find that math is quite easy. Unfortunately, only 50% of the students will do this. For those that do try and struggle with math, they can pick it up with some extra effort and some tutoring.
It is too bad that 20% of the students don’t take school seriously and don’t intend on learning anything. To them, school is a necessary evil and a good place to socialize. Many don’t care if they don’t pass, because they know they can take summer school which is easier and shorter, and they will be promoted to the next grade. We are seeing some students having to repeat, now that we charge $100 for summer school. Their parents refuse to pay, because they knew that their students didn’t take it seriously.
For many students math seems to be the most difficult subject of their schooling. I think part of that has to be the way that we teach the core subjects. Our students do very well on the reading and history on the state standardized tests. They do poorly on math and science. Math, reading, social science, English and science are considered the core subjects with emphasis on math and reading. From elementary to middle schools, every year the students take two language arts classes (English and reading). They are also required to take history, science and math. The science that requires heavy emphasis on mathematics (chemistry and physics) doesn’t really begin until 8th grade. So four of the five core classes strengthen the student in reading but do little to help in mathematical development.
Since math builds on previous lessons (multiplication facts are needed for fractions, fractions are needed for ratios, etc.), when a student falls behind or has a gap in his learning it is very hard for him to move on in math. That is why we double block 1/5 of the eighth graders to take 90 minutes of math everyday, instead of every other day. I have found many of them are working on a 5th or 6th grade level of math.
I do enjoy teaching. I feel that I am making a positive impact on many students. I enjoy very much the freedom to teach the students the way that I feel best. I like creating new ways of instruction. Teaching has been very rewarding to me.

2 Comments:
Rick, thank you for sharing this. I know you are and will become an even better teacher as the years pass and you find different methods of teaching. How fortunate the students in your shool are to have you. We need all the good dedicated teachers we can get. Thanks again and we love you. Keep up the good work.
Very insightful and a pleasure to get to know you a bit better through the blog. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home